Book Review| The Art Of Racing In The Rain




Author Name: Garth Stein

Book Description:
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it.


My Review:
Frankly speaking I had never thought of reading this book but when I saw the cover page I just couldn't resist. Being a dog lover myself, I don't know why but it instantly occurred to me that this story is going to be super sad. And yes it was.
I don't have a pet dog but I do have a bunny. I know the feeling is not the same but I love him like my child. After reading this book, it was so much different for me. It changed me, the way I used to interact with him. I now lay on the floor and spend time talking to him, trying to understand what he may be thinking as well.

I have just one word to describe Enzo. Philosopher. Yes, he was a philosopher dog and his views on life and his human friends amuses me so much. I remember one of Leo Tolstoy's story called Kholstomer, which was from the point of view of a horse. Similarly here, we see everything from the eyes of Enzo, the dog. He is about to die and he recalls his past and narrates to us the story of his life. It was totally heartbreaking for me at times and funny at another moment. Just after a few pages I had blurry eyes and I couldn't stop sobbing.

Danny adopts Enzo while he was still a tiny pup and this book shows the bond between the two. How they interacted and what Enzo thought about his human. Also it is quite interesting that Enzo always thought he would be reincarnated as a human being when he will die.

Overall, I loved this book. I love all the books in this world about dogs and I hope one day I can read all of them.

A very very good read. Totally recommend this one.


Ratings: 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review| The Fault In Our Stars

Book Review| Norwegian Wood

Book Review| To All The Boys I've Loved Before