Book Review| Table For One




Name of the Book: Table For One

Author Name: Neha Bindal

Book Description:
Taara Maheshwari, a single woman in her thirties and a successful lawyer, is tough from outside but a die heart fan of romantic movies from inside. She grew up seeking her“happily ever after" but amid various heartbreaks and culture of modern age short term relationships, her believe in“true connections" got replaced by the comfort of being “emotionally disconnected.” After she turned 31, her parents persuaded her into meeting a guy for marriage who sounded just perfect for her. Acting on impulse, she told her parents that she would meet him only if they let her go on a trip to Europe. As Taara went on to explore the world, she experienced what actually happens when a single Indian girl travels to Europe all by herself. Is it only about dancing, singing or falling in love? What happens after you fall in love? Does love conquer all? Only her story would tell.

My Review:

I don't know from where I should start. This was such an amazing read, I need more of it. Or at least I need a promise from the author regarding a sequel.

So, this was the story of Taara, whose parents were worried for her marriage like all Indian parents out there but she hadn't found the right one yet. She had lost faith in love after all those heartbreaking experiences in her unsuccessful relationships. She wanted to be free. She met many "amazing men" but was never able to keep them. So she makes a deal with her father that she will marry anyone of his choice if he will let her go on a vacation to Europe for one month. And then the journey begins.

First of all she gets late for her flight and was going to miss it but someone saves her who was late too. Frankly speaking I wanted him to be with Taara and was waiting for him to arrive impatiently while reading the book. Even from the first instance, it feels like they will be able to connect with each other really nicely. She also meets a magical woman in the flight who gives her a small sapphire colored stone for confidence and protection.

She first arrives in Paris and loves the city so much that it started feeling like home to her. Still she missed something deep inside.
And then, at the right moment, she falls in love again. Love finds her.

I won't be spoiling the suspense by revealing all the details but trust me I laughed with Taara and cried with her as well. I can relate to her as an Indian girl. The lines like, "food isn't just food for Indians- it is an emotion, and a way of expression." truly expresses my feelings. The insecurities, the societal pressure and her fears made me connect with Taara immediately.

The way she always wanted to be free and get away from her family for a few days. The way she starts feeling bad after being free. These are things which we normally feel. She was suffering from extreme loneliness but she "realized something wasn't right in staying on the perfect world, even in the darkest hour."
"I stopped fighting with my loneliness and started facing it. I accepted that I needed to stop waiting; stop waiting for someone, or something real to fill me up and give me a reason." But as the days passed, the definition of alone changed for her. It wasn't a "closed dark room" anymore but "a whole wide world full of opportunities."

Even in Europe, after falling in love, she lost her guy three times and found him back. But at the end, I promise you guys, a surprise will be waiting for you. The least expected of all. That's what I loved about this book. Falling in love when you least expect it and then the fear of leaving your love behind.

There are so so many quotes that I have highlighted. Specially the last chapter. It is one of the most beautiful endings ever. I totally loved it. It will be such an amazing travel companion guys. I read it in two sittings and totally awed by the messages it conveyed.

It also had some sexual encounters described but it doesn't seem vulgar in any way, just the union of two lovers which is pure.

"It all happened because we needed to restore our faith and feel the healing power of love. We are all taught that the most beautiful part of a fairytale is "happily ever after." But we fail to notice that all fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time." Once. It all happened it was all real. Once. And that 'once' for me, irrespective of how short it was, helped me believe in love."


Totally recommended.


Rating: 4.5/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review| The Fault In Our Stars

Book Review| To All The Boys I've Loved Before